I love chow mein. It’s probably my favorite Chinese dish. It makes sense, if you are a follower of my blog, you know I am a noodle fiend! If I had to choose one thing that I would have to eat for the rest of my life, it would probably be noodles.
Shamelessly my favorite chow mein does not come from a restaurant, it comes from Safeway. No joke, if you’ve never had Safeway or Haggen to go Chinese, you’re missing out. In college we referred to it as Haggenese, lol. It’s total junk food but the flavors are spot on. Especially the chow mein. I’ve always really enjoyed their recipe because the noodles are perfectly chewy and it has very simple ingredients. Just noodles, sauce, a little cabbage, carrot, and onion, that’s it. No need for any extra ingredients. Simple is best.
So when I set out to develop my own recipe, simple and easy was the plan. And a good plan it was! Less is definitely more when it comes to these classic take out noodles. When it came to the ingredients, I found everything in my local grocery store. I would love to get some fresh chow mein noodles from an Asian grocery store one of these days but that’s a long drive from my small town. These Sun Luck noodles, found at Fred Meyer, worked great!
And instead of chopping cabbage and shredding carrots, I just grabbed a bag of cole slaw mix! How easy is that!?! Yeah! I felt like quite the evil genius when I sorted that one out. There are so many extra ingredients you can add to this easy recipe to make it your own. Check out the notes section for suggestions. Enjoy!
Prepare noodles according to package directions.
In a small bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, and shredded ginger.
Heat wok to medium temperature.
Add onion and a spoonful of sauce.
Saute for about 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Add cole slaw and toss for about 2 minutes until leaves are wilted.
Add noodles and the rest of the sauce.
Saute for 5 minutes, making sure everything is evenly coated.
Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.
- 12 oz chow mein noodles
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp shredded ginger
- ½ yellow onion finely sliced
- 2 cups bagged cole slaw (without sauce)
- ¼ chopped green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Prepare noodles according to package directions
- In a small bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, and shredded ginger.
- Heat wok to medium temperature.
- Add onion and a spoonful of sauce.
- Saute for about 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add cole slaw and toss for about 2 minutes until leaves are wilted.
- Add noodles and the rest of the sauce.
- Saute for 5 minutes, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
- Vegetables to add
- Add these with the onions: red pepper, green pepper, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms.
- Add these with the noodles and sauce: snow peas, snap peas, bean sprouts.