It’s August. It’s hot. Too hot to turn on the oven for any reason. The idea of introducing any heat into our house in the evening makes me cringe. We have a little air conditioner in our bedroom upstairs that actually does a great job of cooling the house most of the day. But at the peak of the heat around 5 pm it just can’t keep up. So the girl who can’t get enough of her oven is suddenly repelled by it. Fortunately there are many logical alternatives to this dilemma and our favorite (as with most red-blooded Americans) is the grill. Even cooler (pun intended) we got a brand new one this summer! A four burner Weber with cast iron grills. I love it! It cooks perfectly even and is super easy to clean. When we purchased our new grill, we took a stroll through the accessory section and that’s when I came across these nifty grill baskets.
Who needs foil packets when you have this nifty deal? Nearly every time we grill, this comes out now. It’s amazing for grilling veggies! Did I mention it’s stainless steel and dishwasher safe? Under $20! Go get one! We found ours at Home Depot.
So our new favorite side dish is this simple and easily adjustable dish. For recipe’s sake I’m sharing the everything version I usually make which included potatoes, zucchini, crookneck squash, onions, cherry tomatoes, and artichokes. If any of these are not your cup of tea, you can simply leave them out! Also I’m sure there are a ton of other veggies that would go great in this dish as well. Mix it up! Have some fun with it! This dish goes great with everything!
The key to make this dish perfect is to give your firmer vegetables more time on the grill and introduce your softer veggies later. Typically I cook my tougher veggies, (potatoes, zucchini, onions) for about 10 minutes and then add the softer ones (tomatoes and artichokes) for the last 5. This recipe can also be done as a kebab or in a foil packet.
- 2 cups baby red potatoes
- 2 cups summer squash, chopped - zucchini, crookneck, straight neck, etc
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 14 oz canned quartered artichokes, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- Soften potatoes by piercing each one with a knife and then cooking them in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Turn the potatoes about half way through the cooking.
- Cut potatoes into quarters.
- In a large bowl, add all firm vegetables - potatoes, squash, and onion.
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the balsamic dressing, shake, and drizzle over vegetables in a large bowl.
- Place in a foil packet or grilling basket on the grill.
- Grill on medium heat for 5 minutes and toss.
- Grill an additional 5 minutes and toss again.
- Add softer vegetable - tomatoes and artichokes - toss and grill for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.