Roasted Zucchini Caprese Stacks are a quick, easy, and a delicious way to use up all that surplus zucchini growing in your garden. Similar to my Zucchini Pizza Bites and Early Harvest Caprese Stacks which take 5 minutes to put together and only 15 minutes to baked or fry to perfection.
I will admit, I’ve been pretty impressed with how much of my own zucchini I ate this summer rather than give away. I cooked it with dinner, had it for lunch at least 3 times a week, and with the way Mountain Man goes through the zucchini bread, I think we only gave away maybe 5. As the season comes to a close I’m trying to savor my last few squash by making quality dishes that really bring out the flavor. These stacks are one such dish.
I’ve tried them baked and fried. Either way is delicious but baked takes less effort and is healthier so I tend to do that. If you are interested in the frying method, check out the Early Harvest Caprese Stacks link above for general instructions. Either way you make them, they will disappear before your eyes! The melty cheese, savory tomato, and tangy balsamic vinegar makes for a winning combination. Enjoy!
- 1 zucchini
- 2 small tomatos - vine or roma
- 3 oz mozzarella - fresca or shredded
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice tomatoes, zucchini, and mozzarella into 1/4 inch rounds.
- In a small bowl, soak tomatoes in balsamic vinegar.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg.
- In another small bowl sprinkle a layer of bread crumbs.
- Dip just the bottom each round in the egg then bread crumbs.
- Place each round on a greased cookie sheet.
- Stack with tomato, basil leaf, and mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.