Crispy buttery shortbread topped with gooey pecan filling. Pecan butter tarts are my absolute favorite holiday cookie to make. You may have had or even made the fancier version that comes in a shortbread crust, but who has time for that? Not this girl! This recipe is super easy to make and will have you swooning in buttery caramelly heaven.
This recipe became a standard about 6 years ago when my sister and I started having an annual Christmas cookie one day bake off. Our goal has always been to get the biggest bang for our buck with only one oven, two Kitchenaide mixers, and about 8 hours. If you choose the right recipes and take some time to make an attack plan, you can really make a lot of cookies!
Pecan butter tarts became a standard for this occasion because they are that easy to make! The recipe comes originally from the Joy of Baking website but over the years, I’ve found the cookies to not be as thick and gooey as I wanted them to be. So I ramped up the recipe by basically doubling the shortbread and the important filling ingredients. After a few trials and errors I have perfected the art of ooey gooey pecan goodness.
These easy and delicious bars are a fabulous addition to your holiday baking regime. Enjoy!
- Shortbread base
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- In your mixer, place flour, sugar, and salt.
- Beat for 2-3 minutes until clumps form.
- Press dough down into a greased 9x13 pan
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pale brown.
- Meanwhile beat utter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir in nuts
- Pour filling mixture over shortbread mixture and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.