Love verde enchiladas? Then you will love this soup! Chicken, peppers, and onions simmered to perfection in a zesty verde broth. Garnish with avocados and cilantro! All this amazing flavor in less than and hour in the Instant Pot!
Per usual, Washington is doing it’s typical January dance of rain, rain, and more rain. Add on the fact that it’s only “light” for about 9 hours a day and I go in hibernation mode. I’m perpetually in sweats and a robe, I go to bed at 8 and I thrive off soup and pasta. It’s not a bad way to ride out the weather but I am definitely a summer girl. So while I wait for the sun to return to the land of never-ending grey horizons, I hone my comfort food skills.
This is my latest and it will make many return visits to our household. Mountain Man and I both loved this! There’s a reason this whole Instant Pot “thing” is a “thing.” What takes all day in the slow cooker takes roughly an hour in the Instant Pot. So far, as a novice Instant Potter, that’s been my favorite aspect. Plus any sauteing you have to do before, you can do right in the pot since there’s a mode for that.
This soup came out tasting like it had been simmering all day. The flavors were perfectly blended. For a little spice I added jalapeno hot sauce (green Tabasco) but if you like extra spice, you could certainly throw in a chopped real jalapeno or two. The soupy broth is simply chicken stock, green enchilada sauce, and a little lime. What you add in after it simmers is what takes this simple dish to the next level, green chilis, cilantro, and corn. Though I think my favorite part was tossing in avocado chunks before serving. The saltiness of the soup makes the avocado taste almost sweet in the most amazing way. Hope you love this soup as much as we did!
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 polbano pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 26 oz green enchilada sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp jalapeno hot sauce
- 7 oz green chilis
- 15 oz canned corn, drained
- Garnish suggestions: 1/2 avocado per bowl, chopped cilantro, cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Place garlic, onion, pepper, and oil in the instant pot.
- Turn on the saute mode and saute for 5 minutes.
- Press cancel and add chicken breast, enchilada sauce, broth, lime juice, and hot sauce.
- Seal the instant pot and set it on manual for 15 minutes.
- Once the instant pot is done cooking, do a quick release of the pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred carefully. It will be extremely hot!
- Return chicken and stir in chilis and corn.
- Serve with preferred garnishes.